How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Viking, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Tea Toddlers Group: Every Saturday morning, our Tea Toddlers Group bakes goodies for afternoon tea served on fine china and tablecloths to all the residents.
- Friday Happy Hour: Every Friday afternoon is Happy Hour where residents and family members relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Live Entertainment: Once a month we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
- Movie Nights & Bingo Nights: Our weekly Movie Nights and Bingo Nights are always very popular with residents.
- Ice Cream Social: Twice a month in summer we all enjoy our ice cream social and in winter it switches from ice cream to donuts.
- Music Program: Residents enjoy a weekly music program featuring DVD’s produced by a registered music therapist. In her DVD’s she leads the group in sing-alongs and reminiscing through music.
- Gardening Group: Our Gardening Group plants flowers and vegetables in raised planters around the patio and in winter, they switch to potted plants indoors.
- Reminiscing Group: Once a week we have a Reminiscing Group that meets to talk about the good old days.
- Crafts Program: We have a once weekly Crafts Program.
- Wash n’ Fold: Every morning a group of residents get together to fold towels, facecloths, dinner napkins and other linens.
- Beautiful You: “Beautiful You” is our once weekly program when the ladies get their nails done.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist